The Austin Graduate School of Theology traces its origins to 1917, when the University Avenue Church of Christ established a Bible Chair at the University of Texas. In 1975 this program was expanded with the offering of a bachelor’s degree in Biblical Studies by arrangement with Abilene Christian University. That same year, the Bible Chair was incorporated as the Institute for Christian Studies (ICS). In 1978 an undergraduate program in ministry was initiated for the purpose of training ministers, teachers, and missionaries.
Independent accreditation was granted in 1987, and since that time over 200 students have earned an undergraduate degree and are serving throughout North America and five other continents. Graduate theological education was incorporated into ICS’s mission in 1992 when a master’s degree was offered by arrangement with Abilene Christian University.
In the fall of 2001, ICS launched its own graduate program, and the Institute for Christian Studies became the Austin Graduate School of Theology. At the same time, the needs of undergraduate students continue to be met through Austin Grad’s Bachelor of Arts program. More than 100 graduate degrees have been conferred by Austin Grad. In 2007-2008, Austin Grad relocated, moving from its historic site near the University Avenue Church of Christ and the University of Texas to north-central Austin The new location allowed for expansion to meet the needs of a growing enrollment and the addition of future programs. Austin Grad’s alumni offer Christian witness in both churches and the broader society in a variety of capacities including ministry, mission work, teaching, and business.
Austin Grad’s campus is located near several of central Texas’s major transportation arteries, including Interstate 35, Highway 183, and Loop 1 (MoPac). The campus houses administrative and academic offices, classrooms, a student activity center, and the ICS Bookstore. It also affords a large theological library with access to technology resources and a comprehensive collection of databases for religious studies. The campus has ample parking and includes space for future growth.